It’s been another busy week and I’m now right in the middle of packing my apartment to move next weekend. I love creating and food crafting, however a half-packed, chaotic space isn’t exactly inspiring. And then suddenly, on Friday night this popped into my mind – Skillet Nachos! Yessssss!
•Nacho Chips (Non-GMO and Gluten Free)*
•Tempeh (or Black Beans or protein of your choice)
•Taco Spice Blend
•Salt & Pepper
*I always buy unsalted nacho chips for a couple of reasons: 1) I’d prefer to decide how much salt to use. 2) I’d prefer to decide what quality of salt to use.
I support organic farming and recommend that, when available, ingredients be certified organic.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat and warm your tempeh or beans, or brown your meat, stir in about 2 tsp. taco spice and remove from the skillet.
- Cut up your ingredients: dice peppers and onions, slice olives, shred cheese.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with nacho chips, and layer on olives, onions and peppers. I prefer the cheese on last, though I do set aside a tiny bit of each of the others to sprinkle on top along with a bit more taco spice and salt & pepper.
- Put skillet into the oven on low broil – WATCH CAREFULLY – it will take only about 5 minutes.
- Mash the avocado with the juice of half a lime and a few sprigs of chopped cilantro.
- Remove nachos from the oven once the cheese is bubbly. Scoop avocado into the centre along with some sour cream and garnish with cilantro and salt & pepper.
- Enjoy right from the skillet and resist making another one immediately after 😉