Alright my awesome readers, once again I’m delayed on my Saturday post and I think this means it’s time for a break. But wait! No, I’m not quitting that easily! I’m just going to change up the posts a little bit. I’m a believer in reading the signs and trying to understand your truth. And yes, I was moving and I’ve been putting in a lot of hours at work (we can always easily find excuses) but I’m going to conclude that being late three weeks in a row means it’s time for a change! I’m not sure what it looks like, but next week’s post will definitely be something different. Besides, it’s not like you’ve made every skillet every week, so here’s a chance to catch up 😉
All that said, this weeks skillet is AWESOME! Once again, pretty simple to make, lots of flexibility in ingredients and totally tasty! I was wanting something slightly more dense and filling this time and this skillet hit the spot! Bold, sesame flavor, loads of vegetables and some organic millet and brown rice noodles. You could use soba noodles, or spaghetti noodles here too, whatever is your favorite or available in your cupboard, though thinner, longer noodles are recommended. Please add as many different veggies as you’d like. This is a good way to get a large portion of your 10 – 12 vegetable servings in, so load it up! (Also a good way to clean out the fridge if you have some veggies not far from spoiling). The sauce in this recipe can be used for sesame salads and other noodle dishes as well, a good one to have in the fridge ready to go.
Sesame Garlic Sauce:
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Organic Soy Sauce (and gluten-free if you require)
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
Mix all ingredients together. Taste and add hot sauce if you prefer a bit more heat.
Skillet Ingredients (VERY flexible, but this is what I used):
- Red Cabbage, sliced very thin
- Red Pepper, sliced thin
- Carrot, shredded
- Broccoli, small florets
- Red Onion, chopped
- Millet and Brown Rice Noodles
- Coconut Oil
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Black Sesame Seeds for garnish
I support organic farming and recommend that, when available, ingredients be certified organic.
- Prepare sauce.
- Cook noodles as directed on package, rise with cold water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F and shred, chop and slice your veggies.
- Heat skillet on medium-low heat. Add about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tsp each of toasted sesame and sesame oil.
- Saute onions for about 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add broccoli and cabbage stirring constantly. Saute until a boost of vibrancy in color happens, this only takes about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, stir. Add peppers, stir.
- Stir and toss in the noodles – evenly mix all ingredients.
- Remove from heat.
- Poor sauce over the skillet – stir and toss to coat and mix everything together. Jiggle the pan to create a flat top, tidy the edges and pat down with your spoon if needed.
- Crack your eggs right on top, far enough appart to dish out for as many as you are feeding. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and put into the oven.
- Bake until the whites are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nourish & Flourish