This is a fragrant, robust and warming vegan meal that’s really easy to make. Comfort food on the go that’s also healthy and delicious, can’t ask for much more. My friend and super babe over at Life With Zandra requested this recipe from my “Let’s Talk Detox” class last week. Check out her blog for basically everything that’s cool.
- 1 can chickpeas (BPA-free can or 2 cups cooked)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- 3 leaves red chard
- 1 leaf kale
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp salt
Optional: fried egg
- Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan, over medium heat and add chopped onion. Sauté onion until browned and fragrant. Add water and stir.
- Peel and grate ginger. Mince garlic (or chop very finely). Add both to the onions and stir well, immediately reduce heat to low-medium.
- Sprinkle turmeric and garam masala into the pan and stir. Stir in tomato paste. Cook for a minute or two, stirring well.
- Add lemon juice and stir again. Let cook another minute.
- Remove stems of chard and kale, finely chop and add to skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and stir. Let cook until chard is soft, about 3 more minutes.
- Peel and cut avocado into slices.
- Serve Masala Chickpeas and Chard in a bowl and fan out avocado on top. Pour about ½ tsp lemon juice on avocado and sprinkle with salt.
*Egg option: at step 6 make a space in the skillet and crack an egg into it. Cover until the egg is cooked.
This meal is also totally tasty as leftovers.