This soup is so simple but SO satisfying. It’s beautiful and bright and lovely for all seasons. If you don’t have fresh herbs, it’s totally cool to use dried ones but I challenge you to check out the fresh herb section the next time you’re in the grocery store. Fresh herbs will make any soup or salad sing with freshness and flavor – give it a shot!
(I like to rub the fresh herbs gently with my finger tips and smell them and rub my herb-oiled fingers on my skin. I’m kinda weird, yes, but it’s really nice even for normal people 😊)
2 celery ribs, cubed small
1 large carrot, shredded
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
1tbsp fresh sage, chopped fine
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped fine
½ cup of kale chopped fine
½ cup of red cabbage chopped fine
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp coconut oil and/or butter
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 can navy beans (398mL)
3 cups veggie broth (or bone broth)
2 tsp Salt & 1 tsp pepper
- Drain and rinse beans and prepare vegetables as listed.
- Put 1 tbsp oil in a large pot and turn heat to medium.
- Add celery and carrot and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and 1 tbsp broth and stir well to coat veggies, cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add oregano, thyme, sage, salt & pepper and stir.
- Add broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook for 5 more minutes.
- In serving bowl, pile half of the kale, cabbage and parsley. Ladle soup on top immediately before serving.
Optional: this would be great with a scoop of sauerkraut added immediately before serving.
*Note: When you are having leftovers of this soup, keep the kale, cabbage and parsley out of the soup until it is reheated. Add them immediately before eating.
Nourish & Flourish